In response to neighbor concerns after the home fire on Alamos Place July 6:
Tips for Preventing a House Fire
(Provided by the Boone County Fire Protection District)
- Do not use power strips or extension cords. If you do, make sure they are “UL listed” and cords are undamaged.
- Do not walk away from food cooking on the stove – cooking is the #1 cause of all home fires.
- Clean your dryer lint filter after every use and clean your dryer vent 1-2 times per year, depending on how often you use it. You can purchase dryer vent cleaning kits at home improvement stores.
- Have your home heating and cooling system serviced regularly. Most companies recommend twice per year.
- If you have a wood burning fireplace and use it, have your chimney cleaned professionally at the end of every winter.
- If you have a breaker that frequently trips when using electricity, have it checked by a licensed electrician.
- Never leave candles burning unattended.
Increasing Your Chances of Surviving a House Fire
The first 2 minutes of a house fire are the most critical to escaping safely.
- Install a smoke detector on every level of your home and in each sleeping area.
- Check each smoke detector battery once a month and replace as needed.
- Plan escape routes from each room of your home. Have at least two routes for each room.
- Make sure that everyone living in your home is familiar with the fire escape plan and where you will meet each other outside after escaping a fire.
- Practice your fire escape plan with all family members regularly.
- Never re-enter a house that is on fire once you have escaped.